Search This Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hands Across California: It's started...

It has begun. I saw on @HandsAcrossCA's Twitter page that the budget cuts have started up in Sacramento.

Today, Governor Jerry Brown signed several bills including ones that will have an immediate and serious impact on California Community College students. It now costs $36/unit to attend a CA community college. For those of you who are not so great with numbers, I did the math: That's over $100 for one class (if you're taking a three-unit class, which are most college courses). So, let's take a full-time student like me: If you take four classes, that's over $400 for just the classes alone.

That's not counting books, which we all know are--or, I guess, used to be--the real element of each new semester that really did drain your bank account. I start the same rant and rave every semester when I find out how much I have to pay for one single textbook.

It's already started, everyone. I, myself, am trying to figure out how I will find that extra $10/unit on top of all my other expenses for school, rent, car payments, utilities, etc. I actually am starting to worry that I won't be able to afford school anymore.

So, if you were on the fence about whether or not you wanted to give up your Sunday to come out and hold hands with a bunch of people you don't know, realize that we're trying to unite as community college students/supporters/faculty/etc to make Sacramento aware of just how many people they're impacting with these budget cuts.

You may think you're just one person, but when you link up with thousands of others, you transform into an entity that demands attention and respect. Things probably won't change right away, but they won't change at all if we don't stand together and do something.

Please visit Hands Across California's website to reserve your spot in line. Remember, you can also text 27722 to donate $10 to HAC. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment